JOIN KAIROS TEAM
Investment Director/Associate Investment Director, Credit
Kairos Investment Management Company (KIMC) is an employee-owned, entrepreneurial real estate investment firm and registered investment adviser based in Orange County, California. Since inception, Kairos and its affiliates have invested over $4.1 billion in more than 21 million square feet, including 24,000 multifamily units. The firm’s real estate experience crosses many disciplines including acquisitions, debt, asset management, property management, development, redevelopment, and distressed investing.
Kairos’ Credit Strategy is a Real Estate Investment Trust that seeks to generate income through the origination and syndication of real estate loans for real properties in the United States. The strategy consists of first mortgages and other fixed income instruments such as mezzanine debt, junior secured debt, and preferred equity. Other collateral types include multi-family, retail, office, self-storage, specialty, and conversion/construction projects.
KIMC is looking for an experienced Investment Director/Associate Investment Director, Credit to manage a portfolio of senior debt, mezzanine debt, and preferred equity investments secured by commercial real estate. The Investment Director/Associate Investment Director, Credit will be responsible for strategic investment decision making, loan administration, and investment performance reporting. This position will report directly to the Senior Investment Director of Credit Strategy. The qualified candidate should be able to monitor the performance of investments for credit and compliance while maintaining a good working relationship with Borrowers and their Sponsors.
- Interpret complex loan documents to confirm all relevant loan terms and covenants are being satisfied.
- Work closely with investment team on relationship management with Sponsors.
- Evaluate and make recommendations for draw requests, lease approvals, loan modifications and various other Borrower requests.
- Work closely with internal and external legal counsel in evaluating legal issues and documenting various transactions arising from the asset management of the portfolio.
- Visit properties and track and analyze loan and property-level information, including financial statements and rent rolls on a variety of commercial real estate loans and investments located across the United States.
- Periodic travel to investment properties.
- For those investments that include ground-up construction or significant renovation/alteration projects, actively monitor the progress of the work against the budget and underwritten assumptions.
- Monitor Sponsor/Borrower/Asset level performance and generate quarterly and ad hoc internal investment summaries, memoranda and reports in connection with existing loan portfolio.
- Monitor portfolio assets for potential adverse credit issues by maintaining constant communications with Borrowers/Sponsors and reviewing and analyzing monthly and/or quarterly financial statements and rent rolls while keeping up with national, regional and local market dynamics.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in business administration, finance, or related field.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in commercial real estate, preferably finance and/or asset management. Special Servicing experience a plus.
- Good computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience working on retail loans, transitional loans, highly structured loans, restructurings and workouts.
- Full time on-site/in-office role with Periodic travel to investment properties.
- Must be a team player with comfort working collaboratively and independently in a high growth and high demand environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of structured debt including A/B note, senior/mezzanine, note-on-note, preferred equity, and distressed investment.
- Well-organized and detail-oriented individual with the highest degree of integrity, motivation, and intellectual curiosity.
- Strong verbal, written, and communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks while delivering quality work product.
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance coverage
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off
- 401(k) with company matching
The annual U.S. based wage range for this full-time position is $150,000 – $190,000 annually. The base pay actually offered will vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, location and experience and will take into account internal equity. Other forms of pay may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of health & wellness benefits. For more information regarding Kairos Investment Management Company benefits, please visit https://kimc.com/careers/.